The Chautauqua Café
As part of Chautauqua’s commitment to historic preservation, the Colorado Chautauqua will begin reconstructing the historic 1899 Chautauqua Café in the fall of 2021. The Café, a historic reconstruction based on archival photographs, will benefit the thousands of visitors who cherish and adore the Chautauqua National Historic Landmark.
The Original Café
SERVING COFFEE, SHORT ORDERS, AND COLD MEATS
When the Colorado Chautauqua was established in 1898, the Chautauqua Dining Hall was the first building completed. In 1899, Cottage 100, commonly known today as the “General Store” was built west of the Dining Hall and functioned as the Chautauqua Secretary’s office. In 1899, the open-air wooden pavilion known as the Chautauqua Café was built between the two buildings. This structure functioned as an adjunct to the Dining Hall, serving as an informal dining space and offering “coffee, short orders and cold meats.”
The Reconstructed Cafe
EVERYONE IS WELCOME
After receiving approval from the City of Boulder Landmarks Board and the State Historic Fund, Chautauqua will recreate the Chautauqua Café in the original location between the Dining Hall and the General Store with one modification – the addition of an ADA walkway connected to the porch of Cottage 100. This will allow visitors to access the space through the existing ADA ramp at the west end of the General Store porch.
Stop by Anytime
The Chautauqua Café will be open to the public year-round. It is the perfect place for meetups, story time, or just gathering with friends and family. Guests are welcome to relax while enjoying coffee, ice cream, and healthy take-out food from the adjoining General Store. The Café will also be available for small private events, which can be arranged through Chautauqua’s friendly Guest Services team. Just fill out the Inquiry form here.